Thursday, December 15, 2011

Stereotyped and Prejudged!

I had an experience that left me shocked and outraged.  When a person found out I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  They said "So since you have PTSD now does that mean you're going to go on disability now!"   

This angered, shocked, and took me by surprise because this person was a professional.  There are people who need to go on disability sometimes until they can get strong enough to go back into the workforce but I feel it is not right for people to assume or prejudge others. 

I wrote this person a letter telling them how I felt. This person probably doesn't understand PTSD to know that not all people lose their job or have to stop working because of their illness.

Have you had a similar situation happen to you after people found out your diagnosis?

No comments:

Post a Comment