Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mental Health Education Day!

We had a great day sponsoring the Kid's Day at the Farmer's Market. We had free crafts for the kids such as coloring, door hangers, bookmarks, art therapy sheets, and more.  It was so nice to see families together enjoying each other, laughing and having fun! 

I handed out informational packets on PTSD symptoms, treatment options, and the warning sign of Secondary PTSD in children and in the caretakers of peers with PTSD.  I also distributed coping skill ideas,  business cards, and my calendar of events.

It rained in the morning but was sunny in the afternoon.  Many people stopped to talk to me about my book and story. They were interested to know how I knew it was time to seek help for my symptoms.

I told them the anger stage and zoning out while driving finding myself at my destination with no recollection of how I got there.  We also discussed all the therapy methods I experienced to get in control of my PTSD so I can help educate the general public, peers, friends and their families. 

I had Veterans from different branches stop to talk to me about PTSD.  When they ask questions and found out I am the real deal, they thanked me for my service for educating the public about PTSD.

That is a real change!  I usually see Veterans in uniform out in public and I stop and take the time to thank them for their service to our country.  I felt proud when I was told by them that they admired my courage and strength to be able to have gone through what I did and to be able to tell my story because a lot of traumatized peers of PTSD and other Mental Illness cannot.

I thank my daughters for their help today!  It was fun educating families together as a team.





2 comments:

  1. Leslie, what you're doing is very important! I'm so glad that God has gifted you with this ministry. Praying that He will continue to bless you and use you to help others with this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Krysti.

    It makes it all worth while when I see people that truly appreciate my ministry and see what I am trying to do. I enjoy this part of my life and it is truly a passion to help others.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete