Thursday, March 19, 2015

Bibi and Babu in Africa by Bonnie Toews and John Christiansen book review by Leslie Raddatz

I recommend this book:
 
Bibi & Babu in Africa was entertaining, educational and beautifully documented with photos.  My son, age 8, and I read it together as a bedtime story. We both enjoyed the story of Bonnie (Bibi) and John (Babu) traveling to Africa, the animals they encounter, the people they met and the food they ate. We learned about customs, meaning of the clothes, dancing, and language of the Maasai village people. We enjoyed Bonnie telling us about the orphanage in Africa and the work she did during her visit. We also learned interesting facts about Africa's highest mountain called Mount Kilimanjaro that John climbed. 

This book was a page turner at the same time teaching my son and I about Africa.  After my son and I were done reading this book together, he said, "Mom why couldn't God have made me in Africa?" I laughed and asked, "Why did you want to be made in Africa?" His response, "So I could live there and sleep in the boma, see the animals and climb that big mountain."  I told him when he is an adult that he can travel to Africa so he is really excited.  He wants to start saving money now for his future trip to Africa. Then I told him the best part that Bonnie and John are writing three more books about new adventures they will be taking.  My son and I are looking forward for the next book to read about where Bonnie and John will go next.
 
Review done by Leslie Raddatz

No comments:

Post a Comment